Monday, January 9, 2012

dying yarn craft

so......I just joined Pinterest....I know, I know.  It's been the buzz for awhile and I'm just now joining; anyway.

For those who don't know, it's a site that is like a bulletin for you to 'tag' all the sites that you like/use/bring inspiration/etc. and 'pin' onto your board.  WARNING: It's very addicting!

My newest 'pin' is for dying yarn and i'm totally stoked!  My latest craft with the boys is creating our Busy Bag Box (more on that later) and my issue is that I only have one ball of yarn.  Well, I have a few random yarns but they are very frilly and girly. :) To clarify, I only have one ball of regular yarn.  So here is what I found and what we're going to try as a craft this week:
(these are her notes written in 1st person)

Step 1:
Remember to wear your gloves! I took one packet of Kool Aid and mixed it with just enough water to fill 3 ice cube sections (do not add sugar! Just KA and water.) Then I froze them.
Step 2:
I soaked my WOOL yarn in warm water and vinegar for about a half an hour. I gently squeezed out the water and then laid it into a glass 9x13 baking pan. I put the frozen dye cubes on top and set it outside in direct sunlight.
Step 3:
You need the yarn to reach about 180 degrees Fahrenheit (really, you just need it to be HOT!) to set the dye in the yarn. You could also cook the yarn in your oven or microwave it for a few minutes but I wanted this to be a solar project. So I covered it and left it outside all day.
Step 4:
You'll know it's done when your baking dish is hot and the liquid in the yarn is clear- that means that the yarn has absorbed all of the dye. Bring yarn inside and let it cool down to room temperature. I then gently washed the yarn in warm water with some Eucalan (again there should be no dye washing off- your yarn bath should be clear. If it is running color, stop washing immediately and put back outside to cook some more. Or wrap it in saran wrap and nuke it in the microwave for a few minutes.) Gently squeeze the water out and then allowed it to air dry.

source: http://maiyamayhem.blogspot.com/2011/07/kool-aid-popsicle-dyeing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment